This project started out as a test, but eventually it became more and in my opinion turned out quite nice.
As I wrote in my journal I was reading a tutorial written by =ladyrapid about painting spacescenes yourself; this is my first attempt. It's not perfect, it has its flaws and I guess I could add more detail. I felt I wanted to leave it as it is now even though you really can't add enough detail.
At first I wasn't planning on releasing this at all, but as stated before, I changed my mind due to the end result.
I worked on this piece for a few hours almost every day for about a week. The original size is 3000x2273 and is built up by over 150 layers (not counting adjustment layers).
It is drawn in Photoshop CS3 with a Wacom Graphire 4. Planets are made up from textures from virtualearth.nasa.gov, as usual.
The download-link is leading to a .zip file which contains wallpaper versions for this deviation, if any of you end up wanting it.
1440x1080 preview above